Why Use the MAA Placement Tests?
Place your incoming students in the right mathematics courses quickly and painlessly using the renowned Mathematical Association of America (MAA) placement tests offered online exclusively through the Maple T.A. testing environment.
- Student success.Today's students arrive with a wide range
of backgrounds in mathematics. Correct placement ensures higher success
rates for students.
Students are more satisfied with the education they are receiving, and
instructors can focus on teaching the content of the course instead of
dealing with ill-prepared
students. Institutions can plan appropriate levels of courses and be confident
that they are meeting students' needs.
- Created by experts. MAA placement test items are written and MAA placement tests are constructed by panels of college mathematics teachers who are directly involved with teaching students the courses served by the placement tests. Final approval for each test comes from the MAA.
- Statistically rigorous and validated. Before a test can become an MAA standard or calculator-based placement test, it is first administered at select institutions. The results undergo detailed analysis, with modifications and further trials as required. While it is not possible for the millions of variations of algorithmic tests to undergo the same testing procedure, the algorithmic tests are based on the original algorithms used to create the parallel forms of the standard placement tests. All of the algorithmic questions have been reviewed and approved by the MAA.
- High content validity. MAA placement tests have high content validity in the judgement of college faculty members who either helped construct the tests or piloted the tests at their institutions. For three decades, many mathematics departments have found the tests reliable and valid for appropriately placing students in entry level mathematics courses. The tests assess simple computational and manipulative skills in unrehearsed contexts as well as understanding of fundamental concepts needed for success in introductory mathematics courses.
- Trusted for decades. Started in 1977, MAA placement tests are used by hundreds
of institutions throughout the U.S.