Full Support for Mathematics
Maple T.A. is designed especially for courses involving mathematics, and so it is your best choice for your mathematics, engineering, science, and other courses that use math. Maple T.A. lets you ask the questions you want, the way you want, and then grades the responses just like you would.
- Natural math notation is used in both the question text and student response.
- Easy-to-use equation editor makes it simple to enter mathematical expressions.
- Free-response questions are graded for mathematical equivalence. Where appropriate, responses do not need to be identical to the solution to be graded as correct; they just need to be equivalent. For example, if the correct answer is , Maple T.A. will also accept , and if the answer is , Maple T.A. will also accept .
- Open-ended questions can have infinitely many answers. With Maple T.A. you can ask questions for which you cannot know in advance how the student will respond, and Maple T.A. can still grade their responses automatically. You can ask questions such as “Give an example of a function that has a maximum at x = 0,” “List two composite numbers that have no factors in common,” or “Give an example of an invertible matrix.”
- Powerful algorithmically generated questions turn one question template into hundreds or thousands of similar questions, providing individual homework assignments and lots of practice questions for your students.
- Adaptive questions provide students another chance when they give an incorrect response. Knowing the student is having trouble, the question can be adapted to walk the student through the problem one step at a time, allow students to try a simpler version of the same question before retrying the original, or whatever the instructor feels is appropriate.
- Sophisticated visualization tools let you easily include plots in your questions by taking advantage of the over one hundred 2-D and 3-D plot types and customization options available from Maple. When appropriate, you can even allow students to see a plot of their response before they submit their work.
- A wide variety of mathematical and scientific question types support free response questions, questions that require a numeric answer to fall within given margin of error, chemical formula questions, questions that handle units, multi-part questions, and more.
- Flexible partial grading lets you give partial credit for mathematical responses that are not completely correct, and you can control how generous or rigorous the grading will be.
- Extensive mathematical knowledge coming from Maple means Maple T.A. can automatically grade questions from virtually any area of mathematics.
Easy Content Creation
Maple T.A. is the system of choice for those who want full control over their question content. Whether you want to customize the many available questions or write your own, Maple T.A. provides the most comprehensive, easiest-to-use authoring tools available for mathematics-based content.
- Step-by-step Question Designer walks you through the creation of a wide variety of questions.
- Easy-to-use editor lets you add formatting, images, plots, and special characters to questions.
- International language support allows questions to be written in any language.
- Hints and feedback for each question lets you provide additional guidance to your students.
- Thousands of built-in math commands provide coverage of virtually all areas of mathematics, so you can create questions for any course, at any level.
- Powerful algorithm design tools make it easy to create sophisticated question templates which are used to generate hundreds of instances of a single question. You can vary more than one value in your question, set conditions on those variables, and even take advantage of sophisticated randomization tools found in Maple for generating mathematical objects, such as matrices, polynomials, and prime numbers.
- Flexible content management tools make it easy to organize, search, and share content and quickly assemble assignments.
- The Maple T.A. Cloud enables easy content sharing, so you can access questions created by other Maple T.A. users and share your own content with the community from within Maple T.A. Searching for and using publicly shared questions is as easy as working with content you wrote yourself. Questions from the Maple T.A. Cloud can be copied into your own class, used immediately, or modified to better suit your needs.
- Thousands of questions, many of which have been extensively field tested, are freely available for you to use and customize for your own classes. Topics include calculus, precalculus, physics, chemistry, engineering, differential equations, statistics, and more.
Everything else you want in a testing and assessment system
Of course, Maple T.A. has all the features you would expect in any testing and assessment system, in addition to all the features that make it ideal for math-based testing, including lots of different question types, control over numerous aspects of the assignments, and a gradebook that is second to none in terms of its flexibility and analytical tools.
- Over 15 question types, including mathematical free response, multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, matching, clickable image,essay, and numeric with margins of error, cover all your needs for both technical and non-technical subjects.
- A wide variety of assignment types allow for practice, homework, mastery, high-stakes, and adaptive testing.
- The Maple T.A. Proctored Browser, an optional testing environment, requires students to stay inside Maple T.A. until the test or assignment is completed, so they cannot access other web sites or programs.
- Flexible assignment properties determine start and end times, how much feedback the student gets during the assignment, passing score, number of attempts, restrictions on where they can take the assignment, and more.
- An intuitive assignment editor makes it easy to construct assignments and set assignment properties.
- The flexible gradebook provides all the tools you need to track and analyze your students’ progress. It captures student results for individual assignments and questions within an assignment and allows you to set up grading schemes that include work done outside of Maple T.A., import and export grades, and more. Its unsurpassed statistical analysis tools provide in-depth insight of the results from the student, assignment, and question point of view, so you can get the information you want in the form you need.
Maple T.A. can be seamlessly integrated into all your institutions’ systems and routines, ensuring a smooth experience for students, instructors, and administrators alike.
- Maplesoft can host the Maple T.A. server and look after all software setup and maintenance, or you can host the server yourself. Learn more about licensing and hosting options.
- Authentication via LDAP allows you to integrate Maple T.A. with your campus database for user authentication, making class administration easy to manage.
- Class roster import, manual registration, and student self-registration are all available.
- Content can easily be shared between instructors, making multi-section courses simple to administer.
- Single sign-on for all classes provides a convenient starting point for students and instructors.
- Maple T.A. can be incorporated into virtually any course management system, making for a seamless experience for instructors and students.
- The Maple T.A. Connector for Blackboard® Software (available separately) integrates Maple T.A. into your existing Blackboard course management system.
- Maple T.A. includes a connector for integrating with the Moodle™ course management system.
- A web services API allows you to build your own connector to integrate Maple T.A. into other course management and data management systems. Customers have used this API to integrate Maple T.A. with a variety of systems, including Banner, Luminis, Datatel Colleague, Ping Pong, Microsoft SharePoint, and custom-built solutions.
- Distributed load balancing across multiple servers supports large-scale installations with up to 1,000,000 users.
- The Maple T.A. interface can be easily translated to other languages. View the list of currently available language packs.